Chemical Sciences, Nutritional Sciences
I’m currently working on...
A number of different projects, including developing new types of Lindlar catalysts, modifying approaches to isoprenoids as building blocks for vitamins A and E, and creating new aroma compounds. I’m also involved in projects to do with C-C bond formation by the Saucy-Marbet reaction – a technology that is unique to DSM.
The aspect of my work that excites and inspires me the most is...
Finding and inventing new solutions to “real” problems. I also like working and interacting with other scientists, so that together we can find solutions that clearly benefit chemical processes.
The breakthrough I would most like to see made in my field is...
The development of a multifunctional catalyst that is applicable for several different reaction types, and that is compatible with enzymes – especially in aqueous conditions.
Key areas of expertise:
- Heterogeneous catalysis
- Hydrogenation and ethynylation reactions
- Saucy-Marbet technology
- Friedel-Crafts reactions
- Acid-base catalysis
- Application of non-classical methods, such as:
- Microwave applications
- Reactions in supercritical fluids
- M.Sc., Chemistry, University of Münster (Germany)
- Ph.D., Max-Planck Institute for Kohlenforschung, Mülheim a.d. Ruhr (Germany)
- Habilitation and venia legendi in Technical Chemistry, Friedrich-Schiller-University of Jena (Germany)